An annual furnace inspection and maintenance conducted by a qualified Edmonton furnace service professional is a necessary step to keep your furnace in good working condition. If your furnace is new, an annual check is also needed to ensure your unit’s warranty stays active.
You might be asking, what do furnace technicians actually do when they inspect and maintain your heating system? The answer is, it depends. The service you get will vary on the type of unit you own, as well as the furnace maintenance company that you choose to perform the job. That said, there’s a list of common tasks that different furnace manufacturers recommend be done on a year-to-year basis by a qualified HVAC technician. These include:
- Calibrate the thermostat
- Check exhaust vents for leaks and clogs
- Check airflow sufficiency
- Clean or replace the air filter
- Calibrate gas pressure to prevent furnace failure and overwork
- Check combustion gas levels and reset them if necessary
- Check blower access door for efficiency
- Check burners for proper ignition and operation
- Check drainage system for blockage and/or leakage
- Clean condensate drain and trap
- Replace water in the trap
- Clean blower wheel
- Inspect heat exchange for rust and corrosion
- Conduct amp-draw test on the blower motor and calibrate if necessary
- Inspect wiring for damage and corrosion
- Check fresh air intake grills and louvers for clogs and blockage
- Check the presence of carbon monoxide leaks
Other furnace parts that require checking include capacitors, inducer motors, pilot, pressure switch, and cabinet interior. Basically, an annual checkup ensures that these parts are functioning optimally, or if they need to be fixed or replaced.
Could you do all these tasks yourself? In a way, yes, but you’d have to be knowledgeable enough about your heating unit to be able to do these tasks competently. If you really want to make sure what’s being done, ask your furnace company what’s included in the annual checkup. They should be able to quickly name the tasks that they’ll be doing.
Furnace installation companies such as Capital Plumbing and Heating Ltd. are known to provide the most comprehensive annual furnace checkups in the Edmonton and Stony Plain area. Get in touch with them to give your furnace the care and attention it needs to serve you well.
Fall Furnace Maintenance Guide, FamilyHandyman.com