Carbon monoxide (CO) is a lethal gas present in 100 out of every billion air molecules in Earth’s troposphere. Because it is mainly generated through burning fuel, there’s a misconception that one could only be exposed to carbon monoxide poisoning outdoors. However, indoor CO poisoning is a common occurrence, especially in a cold country like Canada, where we regularly burn fuel at home for various heating purposes. When there is too much carbon monoxide in the air, the human body replaces the oxygen in its red blood cells with CO, leading to severe issues that can even result in death. Hence, it is crucial to prevent carbon monoxide poisoning in the home. Here are some simple ways to protect yourself and your family from indoor CO poisoning:

Inspect Your Heating Equipment Regularly

Most heating appliances like furnaces, boilers, water heaters, gas stoves, ovens, grills, and fireplaces burn fuel, leading to the rise of CO in the air in your home. However, you can manage these levels by buying high-efficiency heating appliances that will control the burning of fuel and thus prevent carbon monoxide poisoning. Additionally, you must inspect these appliances regularly because a broken or damaged part could cause leaks, leading to indoor CO poisoning.

Curb the Use of Fuel-Burning Appliances

While you cannot live without heating appliances in Canada, you could opt for cleaner and greener options. Some heating appliances avoid burning fuel and run on electricity, which can be a healthier alternative for you and your family.

Ensure Proper Ventilation in the Home

If there is CO present in the air in your home, you could let it out by opening the windows and doors. This might not be a feasible option, especially during winters, but ensure there is enough ventilation in the home to prevent carbon monoxide poisoning.

Get a CO Monitor for Each Floor of the House

Because CO is a colourless and odourless gas, you might not be aware of its presence in your home until it is too late. Hence, you must install a CO monitor in the house, which can detect the CO levels in the air and warn you if the levels are high enough to cause indoor CO poisoning. It’s advised that every home has one detector on each floor of the house for your family’s safety.

Rush to a Hospital If You Feel Symptoms of Indoor CO Poisoning

While you can take measures to prevent carbon monoxide poisoning, there’s no way to avoid breathing in the air that might contain high CO levels. So be aware of indoor CO poisoning symptoms such as dull headaches, dizziness, nausea, vomiting, shortness of breath, blurred vision, and unconsciousness. If you or your family members feel any of these symptoms, rush to the nearby hospital immediately before it proves fatal.

Follow the safety measures listed above to protect everyone in your home from indoor CO poisoning. Meanwhile, you can reach out to Capital Plumbing to inspect your heating appliances and install CO monitors all over your house. Your safety is our top priority.