- Clean out drains and catchbasins (the sewer grates on the road) in front of your home. This will help direct water away from your home and create less risk to your property.
- Keep melting snow and ice away from the foundation walls of your house
- Clear your eavestroughs to ensure the water will flow freely through the downspout and away from the foundation walls.
- Have your local plumbing experts inspect your sump pump to ensure it’s working properly to direct the groundwater away from your home
- Install a sewer backwater valve to prevent water from entering your home
- Make sure there is proper grading around your home so the ground slopes away and not towards your house.
The freezing temperatures over the winter can also lead to frozen pipes which could flood your home and lead to expensive property damage. Another reason to have your local plumbing expert regularly service the plumbing systems in your home!