Your plumbing fixtures are always in contact with the water. Since water contains content such as dissolved iron, sulfur bacteria, and acid which can lead to corrosion stains on your plumbing fixtures. Well, you can’t stop water from flowing through those fixtures to stop those stains, but you can surely use some strategies to remove it.
Baking Soda and Vinegar
Baking soda is a non-toxic, earth-friendly cleanser that is gentle on your plumbing fixtures but powerful enough to remove the toughest stains along with vinegar.
1) Mix baking soda with vinegar in 1:1 ratio.
2) Slowly add water to the mixture until a thick paste is created.
3) Rub the paste on the rust stains on the bathroom fixtures.
4) Let it sit for 24 hours.
5) Next, scrub and rinse the area.
Repeat the process until the stain disappears.
Coke contains chemicals such as citric acid, phosphoric acid, carbonic acid, and other things for flavour. All these acids help to remove corrosion from metallic plumbing fixtures. Therefore, it has been proven to clean the rust from any bathroom fixtures.
1) Pour some coke on the stain.
2) Scrub the fixture with a piece of aluminium foil.
3) Repeat the process until the stain vanishes.
4) Rinse and wipe the fixture dry.
Hydrogen peroxide is a powerful oxidiser when it comes in contact with catalysts such as iron and copper. This remedy works best on sinks and drains that have rust stains on them.
1) Pour a reasonable amount of peroxide directly on the rusted area.
2) Allow it to sit for ten minutes.
3) Scrub the fixture until the stain disappears.
Salt and Lemon Mixture
Citric acid is an effective rust remover and widely used for the same purpose. Salt with lemon juice absorbs the tarnish and stains making your metal shiny again.
1) Pour the salt over the rusted area so that it is fully covered.
2) Squeeze lemon juice over the salt until it is fully saturated.
3) Leave the mixture overnight.
4) Rinse your fixtures the next day and leave it to dry.
Use Store-bought Products
Many products are available in the market that you can use yourself to clean your plumbing fixtures. Some of the best products include:
– Whink Rust Remover
– Iron Out Rust Stain Remover
To find out how to use these products well, read the usage instructions while doing your plumbing services.
Rust from the drain fittings or an old metal scouring pad can stain the porcelain plumbing fixtures. You may want to opt for professional plumbing services or replace your fixtures altogether. But wait, use a pumice stick first. A pumice stick works well for removing stains during. For instance, a rusted faucet attached to a porcelain wash basin can leave rust marks on the basin’s body.
If you still have difficulty in removing those stubborn corrosion stains on the plumbing fixtures, opt for plumbing services from Capital Plumbing and get a quick solution to your plumbing problems.